Sunday, February 24, 2013

Birchbox February

It's that time again lovelies, Birchbox time! After seeing the sneak peek video for this month, I was so sure that Birchbox was going to knock this month out of the park for me. They didn't but, the stuff that I did receive was pretty good. Nevertheless, my box did have a few hiccups. I received Box 1 again this month which contained:

  • Dr. Lipp Original Nipple Balm for Lips
  • Skin&Co Bagnodoccia Body Gel
  • Color Club Nail Lacquer (Wild Cactus)
  • Twistband Thick Headband (Black) 
  • Ghirardelli Caramel Chocolate Square


I was excited for the Dr. Lipp because of it's multi-tasking properties. From your nips to your lips, dry skin and cuticles, it seemed like it would be an all around great thing. Well, it is a good product but not great. My frustration first started with the sample size, the tube is very small and on top of that, the tube that I received was basically empty; a thumb nail worth of product and that's about it. Since the balm is so thick (100% natural lanolin) it was very hard to squeeze out of the tube and I had to completely flatten it just to get anything out. As far as performance, it did hydrate my lips pretty decently and made them soft but since the price is $14.50 for only 0.507 oz (15ml) of product, I would try to find a cheaper alternative. I wish I could have tried this on my cuticles but, I just didn't have enough product.

The largest sample in my box was the Body&Co body gel (Olive & Sicilian Orange extracts + vitamin C) The scent is one of those things that you either love or you hate. Personally, I'm on the fence. It's not a bad smell but, it's something that I have to get used to since I'm more of a light scent lover. This gel has a very strong, musky scent that almost leans more to the "manly" side rather than unisex. The scent lingered on my skin after my shower but it was much milder and a lot more pleasant. Aside from the scent, I did enjoy the body gel/wash, it lathered up extremely well even without using much product and it left my skin feeling pretty good. It was not nourishing to my skin even though it contains olive oil but, it did not dry my skin out either. Overall, my skin was left feeling pleasant enough that I didn't feel the need to run and apply body butter. Full size is $17.50 // 8.45 oz (250 ml)

I must admit, at first I was not exactly happy with receiving a green nail polish. My comfort zone has always been black, red or nude nails but, I am happy that I received this after seeing it in person. I've been using it on the tips of my nails and I really love it since it's so different from anything that I own. I have never been impressed with the Color Club brand in general, the few that I have received always chipped beyond belief within a day or two. I must say though, this is the best formula that I've encountered with them. Application is very smooth and is completely opaque in two coats. I personally still won't be purchasing from Color Club but I do look forward to possibly receiving more of their polishes in the future, especially if they have this new formula. Full size is $8 // 0.5 oz (15ml) (Cheaper at other retailers)

Oh Twistband, you keep appearing in my boxes! The biggest dud in my box this month was the Twistband "thick" headband. Just like the Color Club polish, I was not thrilled at receiving yet another Twistband item in my box but, I had plans to use it while washing my face if nothing else. The performance of this headband was just terrible. I could barely move my head without it slipping and sliding all over the place; I had to re-adjust multiple times before I finally gave up and took it off. On top of that, Birchbox claims that these headbands will not leave a crease behind. Well, let me be the first to dispel that claim. The headband not only left a crease, it left a very noticeable DENT in my hair. Set of 6 // $20

To all my chocolate lovers, let's be honest, I'm sure we all enjoyed receiving this little chocolate extra in our boxes. While Ghirardelli is obviously cheap chocolate, it was tasty nonetheless and I enjoyed it.

Overall, this was a nice box for me; it absolutely could have been better but I'm content with what I received. Had my Dr. Lipp tube been properly filled, I would have been much happier. I wish that Birchbox would monitor the samples better so that customers do not consistently receive dud samples like my Dr. Lipp. Quite a few people have reported on MakeupTalk that they have received completely empty Vasanti and Dr. Jart samples. I do realize that some things are always going to slip through but, we shouldn't be seeing the same problems every single month.

Looking forward to March!

Much love xo










No comments:

Post a Comment